Oppositional Defiant Disorder Treatment in Toluca Lake, CA
Every child will defy rules at one point or another. In fact, defiance is a normal part of childhood development for two and three year old children. But on the other end of the spectrum is the child who is openly resistant, hostile or uncooperative even when his or her peers are not. This defiance can become so frequent and consistent that it disrupts a child's social, home, or school life. This is known as oppositional defiant disorder (ODD).
Oppositional defiant disorder is a condition that affects children. As they grow, the condition may progress into an adult conduct disorder. It is believed that up to 20% of children may have ODD
Learn more about oppositional defiant disorder. Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) Symptoms
Consistent, frequent defiance of rules or guidelines can negatively impact a child's life. Some of the most common symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder include:
- Active refusal and defiance against an adult's rules
- Vengeful and revenge seeking attitude
- Blames others for mistakes or behaviors
- Frequent temper tantrums
- Questions rules
- Attempts to annoy or upset others on purpose
- Easily annoyed by others
- Frequent anger or resentment toward others
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) Causes
Like many other types of mental health conditions, scientists are not entirely sure what triggers oppositional defiant disorder. Many parents say that their child has shown signs of being different from their other children or aggressive since they were very small. Researchers believe that there may be a link between a variety of psychological, biological, and social factors but no one can say for sure.
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) Treatment
To treat ODD, your healthcare provider will need to make sure there isn't a physical problem that is causing the behavior. This means your child will need a full physical examination and maybe even blood work or other diagnostic tests. If all physical testing is normal, your provider may diagnose ODD and you may be referred to a mental health specialist for treatment.
There are a variety of methods used to treat ODD. Not every approach will work for every child of family and may need to be adjusted as the process moves forward. The most common treatments include:
- Parent management training programs to teach adults ways to manage the behavior.
- Individual psychotherapy for the child to teach him or her better anger management techniques.
- Family psychotherapy to help build communication and relationships within the family.
- Social skills training to help children develop better relationships with their peers and reduce anger in social settings
- Medications to help reduce outbursts and address any underlying issues including ADHD, anxiety or mood disorders.
Support for Parents
Parenting a child with oppositional defiant disorder can be very challenging and emotionally draining. Counseling has shown great benefit for families who are trying to manage an ODD member. Talking about your feelings in an open and nonjudgmental setting can be very effective. Parents and caregivers should also try to:
- Stay calm during an outburst. Model the right behavior for your child.
- Try to forgive. Start each day fresh.
- Take time for yourself. Get out and enjoy something on your own like exercising, hobbies or visiting with friends so you can return feeling refreshed.
Request More Information
To learn more about oppositional defiant disorder, call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Areas We Service:Studio City, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Burbank, CA, Encino, CA, Glendale, CA, Los Angeles, CA, North Hollywood, CA, San Fernando, CA, Santa Monica, CA, Tarzana, CA, Toluca Lake, CA, Valley Village, CA, Van Nuys, CA, West Hollywood, CA