Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) in Allendale, NJ
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the region of the brain associated with depression and mood control. FDA approved in 2007, transcranial magnetic stimulation provides a viable option in the treatment of depression after other more traditional depression treatments, such as antidepressants and psychotherapy , have been attempted without a significant improvement in a patient's overall mental health.
To learn more about transcranial magnetic stimulation treatment of depression, please call (201) 806-6099 or contact Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women online.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Procedure
The procedure of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) involves the use of magnetic fields that stimulate nerve cells in the region of the brain connected to depression and mood control. The stimulation is achieved using a large electromagnetic coil placed on the scalp near the forehead. The magnetic field is of similar strength to an MRI scan.
The TMS treatment sessions are about 40 minutes in length and occur about five times weekly for five to six weeks. The treatment should not be worrisome because it is not invasive and therefore does not require anesthesia. Patients should even be able to drive themselves home following the procedure if they feel comfortable.
What to Expect During a Treatment
- The patient is placed in treatment room with earplugs to wear during the procedure.
- While sitting in a reclining chair, an electromagnetic coil is then placed on the patient's head.
- The coil is switched on and off many times to produce stimulating pulses. Tapping will be heard and possibly felt on the forehead. This is a normal part of the process called mapping.
- The doctor will increase the magnetic dose until the correct amount is found for the patient's finger or hand to begin to twitch.
- Once the doctor has identified the correct coil placement and dose for the patient, the treatment can begin.
Benefits of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
The purpose of transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is to overcome the effects of depression. TMS produces a response in over half of all cases and remission in less than half. The effects of treatment for TMS is thought to last about a year on average.
Schedule a Treatment Today!
For more information about the lasting effects of transcranial magnetic stimulation treatment in relation to depression, please call (201) 806-6099 or contact Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women online.
Medwell Orthopedics & Functional Medicine for Men & Women
Address33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432
8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Tue: 2:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:30 pm
Sat: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sun: By Appointment Only